Studies show that about two thirds of smokers have the desire to stop but unfortunately, some of them are not successful. Come to think of it, there’s something about cigarettes that smokers cannot easily get rid of. What is it then?
As we all know, cigarettes contain the chemical known as nicotine. This drug can form an addiction which makes you want to smoke even more. Every time you light up a stick of cigarette, the drug reinforces this addiction. This means that you become physically and mentally dependent on it. However, keep in mind that when you do smoke, nicotine is being absorbed by the body. It attached to the lining of your lungs, into your blood and is distributed all over your body.
It can also have devastating effects; it increases your heart rate and blood pressure. However, some smokers have become tolerant to this effect that the more they use or smoke regularly, the lesser your heart will respond to it. This is also why some smokers end up having heart failure in their later lives. Inhaling nicotine can also affect your brain. Nicotine alone acts as a stimulant and depressant. This means that it can give you a boost but you will eventually feel relaxed at some point. This is why it becomes addictive in the long run.
Another reason why nicotine is addictive is because it gives you a sense of pleasure. It reduces stress and releases the chemical dopamine in our body. It also reduces your brain’s ability to get these feelings. So the more you take nicotine, the more relaxed you get. However, be warned, as you consume more cigarettes, the effects become more dangerous. If in any case you withdraw from smoking immediately, you will experience some withdrawal symptoms. Some people may not be aware of these but these are the signs and symptoms of cigarette withdrawal:
- Trouble concentrating
- Increased in weight
- Digestive problems
- Body fatigue
While these symptoms are felt, the need for nicotine increases. That is why some people cannot say no to a stick of cigarette. So how can you break free from this unhealthy habit then?
There are a few things that you can do to totally eliminate this habit. It may not be easy but it must be done, that is, if you really want to be free from this addiction. Here are some of the things that you can follow:
- Discipline yourself. It is not easy but telling yourself that you do not need to smoke can help. It’s all in the mind and the best way to deal with this is to train your mind to avoid smoking.
- Keep a journal to see how much you have progressed. Doing so will let you see how far you have become.
- Find an alternative to smoking. Some people chew gum if they feel like smoking. You can also use a nicotine patch to avoid doing the act of smoking a cigarette.
- If you are stressed then do something to take your mind off things. You can do a bunch of other things to keep your mind free from stress and not just smoking alone. You can take a run, soak yourself in a wonderful bath, do some gardening etc. The list goes on and you can do anything if you really want to.
- Talk to your doctor if any of these diversions do not work. Talking to a medical professional will definitely give you an idea as to what other options you can have to avoid smoking.
Cigarettes may be addicting, no doubt but then again, it’s a big risk to take. If you love yourself and want to live longer, then you won’t destroy your body; the choice is yours. In the end, it’s our decisions that makes the big difference.