3. Microwave popcorn
We love popcorn so much that we’ve taken it from theatres and ballparks into our homes. While preparing it normally took minutes, food scientists made it possible to have them in a minute! Microwave popcorn is so convenient that you only have to place a bag of it in a microwave and watch the magic happen. Add to that the buttery smell it gives off as soon as you pop it open – it’s simply divine. Too bad it causes cancer.
The bags used to contain microwave popcorn are lined with a carcinogen known as perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA). According to studies, PFOA exposure is linked to an increased risk for various cancers affecting the liver, pancreas, kidneys, bladder, and testicles. Besides an increased risk for cancer, microwave popcorn may cause lung problems because of a chemical called diacetyl. Factory workers exposed to diacetyl have been found to develop bronchiolitis obliterans or “popcorn lung”. Microwave popcorn emits dangerous levels of diacetyl fumes straight out of a microwave, so it’s not advisable to inhale it.
Minimize your cancer risk: Prepare popcorn the old-fashioned way by placing popcorn kernels into a large pot over medium-high heat.